Early Years Service
We provide a range of high-quality services for families and practitioners who support children to thrive and develop, especially in the first five years.
- Support for families from pregnancy to a child’s fifth birthday
- Advice about childcare, free early learning, and services for young children and families in the borough
- Support for the quality of education and care in all early years settings through monitoring and bespoke support including safeguarding
- Support. advice and training for children with special educational needs and disabilities in early years settings
- A programme of continuing professional development
- Support to achieve the Healthy Early Years London award
- Updates and information for practitioners and parents via newsletters, social media and our website
Early Years Foundation Stage Reforms
The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) sets the standards for the learning, development and care of children from birth to 5 years old.
In October 2019, the Department for Education (DfE) launched a public consultation seeking views on changes to the statutory framework for the EYFS. The consultation includes proposed changes to the educational programmes, the early learning goals and the EYFS profile assessment.
DfE has published the new draft EYFS statutory framework and draft statutory instrument (SI), in line with legislative consultation requirements under the Childcare Act 2006. This is the revised EYFS that is due to come into force from September 2021.
Relevant documents currently being used by schools participating in the EYFS reforms early adopter year (Sept 2020 to August 2021) are available for all to view (see below). Those who are not early adopters may find some elements of the updated documents useful in 2020/21 but they will still need to follow the existing EYFS framework.
This framework is for schools participating in the EYFS reforms early adopter year from September 2020 to August 2021.
This handbook is for schools participating in the EYFS reforms early adopter year from September 2020 to August 2021.
This non-statutory curriculum guidance supports the delivery of the revised EYFS statutory framework. It offers a top-level view of how children develop and learn, and guides, but does not replace, professional judgement.
DfE’s response to the EYFS reforms consultation – published 1 July 2020.
A summary of DfE’s consultation response and a comparison of the Educational Programmes and Early Learning Goals in the current EYFS framework to the final changes outlined in the consultation response.
Foundation Years webinar: Early Years Foundation Stage Reforms
Presentations by Henna Jawaid, Team Leader: EYFS Reform Team at the Department for Education and Hannah Piggott, Senior Researcher at NatCen talk to the early years sector about the consultation and the pilot findings.
The session covered:
- EYFS reforms context and update
- Scope of the consultation
- Overview of the proposed changes
- Supporting the workforce and implementation
- Pilot findings: understanding and using the revised ELGs
You will also find a link to download the slides from the presentation to share with colleagues
All the information referenced above is available by following the link: